Meditation helps you to know yourself better, to reduce stress, to improve your sleep and to awaken your inner magic.
What is Meditation?
Meditation is an effortless process of settling into stillness. It’s not about forcing your mind to go quiet; rather a gentle way of rediscovering the quietness that’s already there. Behind the sometimes thrashing waves of our mind, feelings and emotions is this silent space of pure awareness that’s always available to us. A space that isn’t thrown about by thoughts of the past or concerns for the future. With a regular meditation practice we are able to access this space and awaken our essential nature that is infinitely creative, compassionate, light hearted and in harmony with nature.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.
Are there different types of meditation?
There are many different types of meditation that support the cultivation of concentration or focus, witnessing awareness and “going beyond” the mind, or transcendence. At One Big Love we practice Primordial Sound Meditation (PSM) – an ancient technique that is derived from the yoga tradition of India.
We use what are known as mantras, or primordial sounds of nature, as a way of settling the mind and going into “the gap” or silence between thoughts, diving into the depths of unbounded awareness.
PSM helps us to know and importantly, to experience, our capacity as conscious choice makers, bringing more love, balance, happiness, playfulness and harmony into our lives and the world around us.
The benefits of Meditation
The benefits fo meditation are available to us on multiple levels: physical, emotional and spiritual. Essentially, meditation supports us to go beyond our deeply ingrained fight/ flight or stress mode and into our caring/ connect way of being. It is an integral comonent of a lifestyle devoted to health, happiness, love, meaning and purpose.
- The heart rate slows down
- Blood pressure goes down
- Our breathing quietens
- Our blood circulates better
- Stress hormone levels fall
- Improved immunity
- Improved digestive function
- Begin responding to lifes challenges and opportunities (rather than reacting)
- Reduce our tendency towards habits
- Make choices that are optimal for our health and wellbeing
- Our relationships improve
- Connect with a greater sense of meaning and purpose in life
- Feel more “in flow”
- See ourselves and the world in a different way and recognise the interconnectedness of everything
- Begin to harness the powers on attention and intention
- Our senses are refined and our intuition improves
- Feel more joyful and lighthearted
- Express more aspects of ourselves